Tuesday, February 14, 2012

All you need is Love.

Y'all know how everybody has a thing?
Like, some people's thing is they're great singers. Or actors. Or musicians. Or they can burp the alphabet.
Gross, I know, but that's a thing.
Almost everybody I know has a thing.

When I first came to college I was hoping to find what my thing was.
I'm not a good singer. Or actor. Or musician. And I definitely cannot burp the alphabet, nor do I want to.
I'm already well into my second year at college and yet - still no thing.

I was talking to my dad about this the other day.
Now, my father...he's definitely one to feed my ego.
In his eyes no one is better or smarter or prettier or more amazing than I am.
In his eyes I can do anything, be anything, have anything.

We were talking about my brother, who will be graduating high school this year.
He's never made anything less than a B in his life.
He plays the guitar.
And the piano.
And the drums.
He has an amazing voice.
He's a great actor.
He's funny.
He's smart.
He's good at sports - like, all of them.
He is so nice and such a good person - seriously, you can't know the guy and not love him. He's just like our mom in that way.
He met Arne Duncan - who just so happens to be the United States Secretary of Education - and after he heard my brother deliver a speech, Arne basically told him that if he ever needed help with anything, my brother should just give his people a call.
I mean, COME ON!
Doesn't this kid sound perfect?

Imagine being his sister.

And there I was rambling to my dad about all of my brother's things and how I wished I had even one of those things and how I would milk it for all it was worth.

After my whole speech my dad told me what he believed to be my thing.

He said my thing was how much I loved.

Me: "Daddy, that can't be my thing."
Dad: "Do you know anyone who loves their family more than you?"
Me: "No, but..."
Dad: "Do you know anyone who loves their friends more than you?"
Me: "No."
Dad: "Do you know anyone who loves Justin Bieber more than you?"
Me: "OF COURSE NOT!"

Okay, so maybe that part about Justin Bieber didn't really happen.

But since then I've wondered, can loving people really be my thing?

I mean, it isn't something I can make a living off of, like my brother can for his acting or singing or instrument playing or brains or sports or...you get the picture.

But after that conversation, I'm content.
And maybe one day I'll be able to see myself through my father's eyes.

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day, y'all.
<3

2 comments:

  1. Omg. This seriously made me tear (in a good way)!
    p.s. Your dad is totally right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are just things. They're special and they're helpful but they don't make or break you as a person, y'know? I'd say it's more important to be able to love than play the piano.

    Side note: I can burp the alphabet.

    Side note number two: You write a nice blog.

    ReplyDelete