Saturday, February 4, 2012

This Life.

This is not the life I ordered.

My dad would have been a doctor - saving lives and stuff. My mom would run countless charitable organizations - working because she wanted to, not because she had to. My brothers and I would have gone to private school, with tuition that rivals that of any Ivy - just because that in on itself would increase our chances of getting into those universities - not to mention the many donations Mother and Father would make to said schools - but we'd each be top of our class, so it's not like we'd need to bribe anyone or anything. I'd play the piano. And the harp. And the violin. I would know what the sport with the horses and the jumping is called, because I'd play that and I'd be great at it. I'd be great at everything. I'd be kind. I wouldn't be snobby - just privileged. After college, I'd go off into the real world. I would make my parents so proud. Then I'd come right back, because I just can't stay away for long. I'd work at a job that I'm good at. I'd fall in love and get married and start a family. I would come home to a husband that loves me and children that give me purpose and so much laughter and love. My brothers would live equally great lives. My parents would be the best grandparents in the world. I'd still have all the best friends I do now, and I'd make even more along the way. We'd all be so happy.

Instead...
My dad is a painter, but not like the Van Gogh kind. My mom has been waking up at 5 A.M. for the past 16 years to go to work. We live in a modest home. My brothers and I have gone to public schools. I go to a private university - but only because I have earned scholarships and receive financial aid. In 4th grade I joined Choir. I quit when my voice began to change. In 6th grade I played the flute. That lasted for a little more than a year - I was tired of never making it to first chair. I also joined theater, until 8th grade when I forgot my lines on stage. In high school my grades were good, but not great.

This is not the life I ordered.

But...
After college, I am going to go off into the real world. I am going to make my parents so proud. Then I am going to come right back, because I just can't stay away for long. I am going to work at a job that I'm good at. I am going to fall in love and get married and start a family. I am going to come home to a husband that loves me and children that give me purpose and so much laughter and love. My brothers are going to live equally great lives. My parents are going to be the best grandparents in the world. I am still going to have all the best friends I do now, and I am going to make even more along the way. We're all going to be so happy.

I know the best people out there. Really, I do. I call them my family and I call them my friends.
I know I can be materialistic, but I also know the best things in life are not things.
Kindness and manners impress me - not looks or bank accounts.
I know what it means to lose people, only because I also know what it means to love people.

There are many things in life I wish I had, that I don't.
But I've never needed for anything.
There are many things in life I dream about.
I'm working on them.
I could have nothing, but instead I have everything.
I am not allowed to be angry or sad.
I am so thankful and I am so blessed.

This is not the life I ordered.
This is the life I was given.
I couldn't be any happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment