Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Letter to my Best Friend.

I admire a lot of people. Selfless and kind and smart people.

Mostly I admire and look up to God.

And then my parents. You've met them. Or should know enough about them through my countless stories. You know how great they are and how much love and respect I have for them.

And then I admire you.

Before I continue, I want you to know that I'm not just feeding you lines or looking to make this merely sound pretty. Everything I'm about to write I feel. Everything I'm about to write is true.

It's 2:14 A.M.

I feel bad for not answering your call. I was asleep. I just texted you to let you know that. I'm sure you'll see it soon enough and call me at like 8 A.M. Go ahead and do that. I might still be awake then, considering how un-sleepy I feel at this very moment. And if I'm not awake, that would be a good time to wake up. I have a lot to study before my midterm on Thursday.

Part of me wants to list all of the things I admire you for overcoming or achieving or going through - but most f those are private. If I'm going to let the world know your life, I might as well write a tell all book or like sell the rights to MTV for a show and make some money off of it. What? It's no like we haven't discussed this before.

I know you get my humor. And how un-serious I was about that. But how serious I am about how I think your life needs a TV show.

I've said this to you before, but I'll say it again and I hope it means something to you - I think you're a great mother. I know it hasn't been easy. But every time I see your happy baby, and how sweet he is, I see all the good you've done. And yes, you've had so much help and support from your close ones, but that lovely child is mostly you. Maybe the circumstances under which he arrived were not ideal, but no one who knows you or knows him can imagine this world without him now. If he didn't exist, the sun would shine a little less - the stars would not sparkle as much. He is so much joy and love and wonderful all in a tiny body and I am so glad you have allowed me to know him and fall in love with him and be a part of his life.

I also think you're the best friend. Like, not just my best friend, but also just the over-all best friend. I feel like everyone should have a best friend like mine. I've had lots of friends and even a couple of best friends before I met you. I've had friends I can be silly with and friends I go to for advice and friends who I can sit with in silence and feel content and friends who I trust and friends who this and that, but you're all of that wrapped up in one.

No one else really knows me more. Or understands me better.

No one else really looks forward to my stories like you do. I can tell by the time I say, "Oh! I have something to tell you!" how excited you get for whatever sort of ridiculousness that is about to come out of my mouth.

No one else is my sugar mamacita. Actually, that's probably why I love you so much. 'Cause you give me pretty things and take me on vacations and buy me food all the time. Yeah, that's it.

Kidding.

Kind of.

Not really.

I love you so much it hurts. Like, legit. "It feels like period cramps in my heart." That was me quoting you about how much you love me hurts, by the way, incase you don't remember. OMG. Seriously, WHO SAYS STUFF LIKE THAT?

Only my best friend.

You also say stuff like:

* "God has night vision!"

* "My dad gave it to my mom so I got it in the divorce!"

* "Creeping is just another word for love!"

* "I bet it's Egyptian Princess day!"

* "I peeled my first precious this morning."

* "The lady asked me if the other adult staying with us was related. I literally said she was our adopted child."

* "OMG OMG OMG OMG I just found dried cheese under my chin/on my neck!"

Sometimes...most of the time...all the time...I wonder/worry about you.

But seriously. More than my best friend, you're my family. And we've had our ups and downs, but mostly our ups. The downs come with life, naturally. As we grow older we have more to face and more to get through. But I'm here for you and you're there for me.

Thank you for being such a rock and a constant in my life for the past year and a half. Holy cow. We've only known each other for a year and a half! Does it seem like longer to you? I feel like you know everything about me, so yeah, it seems like longer.

Oh, I read this the other day and thought about us:

"Will you be my maid of honor? Will you hold my hand on my wedding day? Will you be my best friend, my sister, my counselor? Will you help me pick out the perfect dress? Will you help me keep the other brides maids up-to-date with the plans, the schedule, and my emotions? Will you stop me from registering for appliances we know I'll never use, and bite your tongue when I register for china you know I'll never use? Will you wear your hair the way I want? Will you sit next to my aunt at my shower, dance with my cousin at the reception, and make sure "you-know-who" doesn't hit on the DJ? Lastly, will you hold my dress when I pee?"

Yep. So us.

I love you and I'm here for you and you're my best friend and you're my soul mate and it's 3 A.M. and this blog says it's midnight but no it isn't and I really should edit this but now I'm actually a little sleepy and I love you and I've already said that so many times but it's true and I like telling people I love them because that's my favorite word and you're my best friend and I've already said that many times too and maybe we can make a drinking game out of this except for the fact that I don't really drink and now omg I'm thinking of girl's night and about bar tending school and omg I should have been at your graduation for a picture and omg I should quit while I'm ahead and I'm sure I'm leaving so many more wonderful things about you and about our friendship out but now I can't think and I wish I was better with words and with feelings and maybe I'll write you another letter and like send that one to you in the mail because that would be fun or maybe I'll just tell you over lunch one day or something and yeah okay I'll stop now.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment