Friday, March 30, 2012

Black and Yellow.

Today my brother found out he got accepted into UGA.

Something I don't go around telling people too often is that that was my dream school, and I didn't get in.

Other people dream of going Ivy, or getting out of their home state and away from their parents, but ever since I can remember fully understanding the concept of college, I wanted to go to the University of Georgia.

I applied to 7 different schools, and out of those 7, UGA was the only one who didn't accept me.

I remember I was prom dress shopping with my friends, Jeanette and Cassidy. We were in a parking lot sitting in Jean's car when I checked my application status online. I saw the words, "We are sorry..." and didn't keep reading. I new what the rest said. I took a deep breath and we walked in the store and then I lost it. I burst out in tears in the middle of all these pretty dresses and my two best friends in high school hugged me until I got myself together. I got home and cried to my dad. I called my mom because she was in Guatemala and I cried some more to her, too.

None of it made any sense. I exceeded every single one of their requirements. My GPA was above what they were asking. I was in so many extra curriculars. So much of what I did in high school was for them and they didn't want me. It wasn't even that I wasn't good enough - they just flat out rejected me. I didn't even make the damn wait list.

That Fall I started my freshmen year at Oglethorpe University which had been my second choice. The whole summer my best friend Maria and I had talked about how we were both going to go to our respective colleges for a year and then transfer to UGA. We even took a trip to Athens to look at apartments and had one picked out.

Almost two years later and I'm still at OU. The campus, the professors, the people, my sorority - it all owns me.

The way I've looked at all of this is that I was plainly and simply meant for Oglethorpe. If I had gotten into UGA, there isn't a doubt in my mind that that is where I would be. But I wasn't meant to live that life. I was meant to live the one I've been living. I was meant to be Catherine's roommate. I was meant to be Becca's little. I was meant to know what a Petrel is and to live in motel styled dorms and to be a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma.

I wanted Bryan to go to Oglethorpe. I think he would be great there, but honesty, that kid is going to be great anywhere. I know he could do so much better than UGA because he's talented and smart enough to get into almost any school you can think of, but what he wants is Georgia, and that's probably where he was meant to be.

UGA will be his Oglethorpe.

My smile rivaled his own when he shared the news with us today.



OGLEMEMES:
YOU'RE WELCOME

No comments:

Post a Comment