Thursday, March 8, 2012

OHANA.

When my Big Sister in my sorority's birthday was coming up in January, my bank account was looking pretty sad. I could either make her something, or I could treat her out to a nice dinner from the McDonald's Value Menu. It was a tough choice but I went with the first one.

I had this really cool box I got sometime in high school and on the cover it said, "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" I had thought about giving it to Biggie for graduation, since she's a senior this year - OHMYGAWD SORRY FOR BRINGING IT UP WE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT! - and putting together some sort of real world survival kit with big girl panties inside and what not. But, I'd already given her underwear for Christmas, and then someone else gave me a very cool idea for an even better grad gift, so I was left with the funky box.

When one of my friends left to study abroad in Moldova, I gave her an envelope filled with quotes and she said she really loved it.

When one of my sorority sisters was going through a rough time I filled up a little notepad with quotes for her and she also told me she loved it.

And I thought that if I filled the previously mentioned Dr. Seuss box with so many quotes that it would barely even close, Big Sister Becca would love it, too.

Becca cried like a baby when she opened it. She just has a lot of feelings.

When Becca is sad she says her boots are heavy, and lately I can kind of understand the feeling. I've talked a little bit about it before on here, and I'm just feeling...I don't know, weird. Becca said something in her blog once that I really loved. She wrote about how she knows that there are other people in the world who have it worse than she does, but she doesn't know their pain, she only knows hers.

Anyway, Becca notices these things and she says it's her responsibility to take care of me so today when Becca and I were hanging out in her office (it isn't technically her office but it kind of is but it isn't really but yeah that's what I call it and it's all of SGA's office but whatever "Becca's office" just sounds nice), she gave me the best present there ever was:


That's right! Karen's got herself a big ole box full of quotes, too!

I can't control myself sometimes so I read like 10 of them right on the spot. Some were written in Becca's handwriting, others were written in Chelsea's handwriting, and some were written in Hope's handwriting.

Chelsea is Becca's other little sister, so she's my twin. Hope is Chelsea's little, and that makes her my niece.

Oh, and speaking of family, today I met some of my other family members who I'm related to from another Greek organization. My grand big in my sorority is a fraternity boy's big. That makes him and Becca twins. He has a little who then becomes my cousin, I think? And then I'm my cousin's little's second cousin or something? Did I confuse y'all? Kay, cool. 'Cause I was confused, too. Becca just told me to never kiss anyone who called themselves my cousin because that's not okay. Greek family trees can get a little cray.

Okay, back to my awesome box. It made me feel so loved and special and it was such a big surprise and apparently everyone else knew what Becca was up to except for me so yay for being a little clueless and yay for being loved.

Remember when I said I can't control myself? I may have read a few more quote slips. Maybe like 10 more...but probably more like 50. I'm sorry! They're just so beautiful and I have needs! But I finally stopped myself, and I've decided I'm going to follow Becca's process and pull out an average of one quote per day. So, I put them all back in the box, shook it up real good, and pulled out the quote that will be known as today's quote:


Y'all don't even know how perfect this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment