Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lean On Me.

So I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother has seen the Kony 2012 video by now, am I right? I don't really know how I feel or what I think on the subject, so maybe just blogging about it will help me figure it out.

My initial reaction when I watched the video was to think how beautifully made it was, and what a good and honorable cause it was promoting. I cried, but is that really a surprise to anyone anymore? I watched it for the first time Tuesday night, and it had just over 1 million views. Tonight, only 4 nights later, the video has more than 67 million views.

Seriously, how incredible is that?

Everyone seemed to be on the Kony 2012 bandwagon and it made me really happy to see how quickly so many people were joining in to spread the word about it.

Of course, all these Negative Nancy's started popping up with things like, "What's watching a video and sharing a link going to do to help?" and "This is all a scam and y'all are idiots for falling for it." and blah-di blah blah.

HATAZ GUNNA HATE.

I will admit that I am a little skeptical about donating money to an organization whose financial reports are a bit shady, but that does not mean I'm against what they are promoting.

I think that what the organization says they are doing is beautiful. I think people are giving their money to a noble cause. And I like to believe that it will make a difference in the lives of the children they are trying to help.

I wish I knew more about the subject. I wish I would have heard about Kony before this video, that way when I Googled him and tried to research, not everything that popped up would be traced back to said video. I wish I could take a more educated stance on the situation.

Today I also realized that giving money isn't the only way to help charities. I mean, yeah, I knew that, but today I was reminded of it.

I went with two of my sisters to volunteer this morning at an organization called The Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation. They do a lot of things like provide hearing aids and low cost eye surgeries in Georgia, but their main thing is providing glasses to under privileged people all over the world. Along with about 25 other people we sorted, cleaned, wrapped and packaged 6,000 pairs of glasses in just 3 hours. It is amazing to think that the glasses that I was literally holding today will be half way across the world soon and on the face of someone who at this very moment is having trouble seeing. It is amazing to think that by just giving up 3 hours of my day, I will have made a difference in the lives of so many people.

So yeah, let's just all try to be positive pancakes and help others in whatever ways we can and all that good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment