Monday, March 19, 2012

Fam[ily] Ties.

My dad sat my brothers and I down for a talk tonight.

It was funny because we all initially thought we were in trouble - I could tell in their eyes that they were trying to remember if they'd done anything wrong, just like I was.

But alas - no one was in trouble, he just had something serious to discuss with us.

He's been offered a job. A great job. A great job that will have him going from one state to another, job site after job site, up until December.

This company is offering to make him an equal partner if he agrees.

They're going to give him a small job in Texas for two weeks, which he'll fly out for later this week, and if he likes it and he's ready, the position is his.

The company does a little bit of everything, but their biggest source of revenue is painting, which is where my dad comes in.

When I say this is a great job, I'm talking about him making well over 6 figures by the time Fall rolls around.

This is the type of money my dad used to make when I was a kid. Every week Bryan and I could walk into Toys R Us and pick anything we wanted. We would eat out for every meal on the weekends. We would take multiple vacations for no reason other than having the means to do so. I hardly had to repeat any of my outfits.

Recently we've had to learn to hold back on certain luxuries. We live very comfortably but there are times our parents just simply have to say no. Even though I was always taught to be grateful for what I have been given, the spoiled part of me hates things like the word budget.

That's the most obvious plus side to this whole situation - the money. But it might be the only plus side.

Everyone who really knows me at all knows how close I am to my family. And it's not only me to them, but it's all of us to each other. My dad not being here for that long is going to plainly and simply suck.

He says he wont do this without our support. If we don't think this is a good idea, he wants us to let him know how we feel.

I think this is an amazing opportunity. And I support him - I really do. I just know I'm not going to like it. And none of us will get used to it.

Nothing will be set in stone until after the Texas job. There's also a job here in Georgia that he would be able to do from this state obviously. But all of the other jobs are like 1 month in Louisiana and 2 months in Florida and another month in South Carolina and things like that all up until the end of the year when the company closes from December - Mid-March and then they start all over again.

Change is scary.

We'll see what happens.

I'll never ever stop believing that everything will always be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment